Tuesday, September 11, 2007

And the beat goes on...



Well I turned down the Phoenix job today based on a couple of factors. The first was I would have to take a HUGE pay drop to move up two markets. That right there is just plain wrong plus for the love of God I've been in television close to 10 years! Low-balling not appreciated or tolerated. I'm not about to make a stupid decision. The second is... it's Phoenix. It's HOTTER than hell! I grew up in the Southwest, but Phoenix is a tough one. Still we'll see what the outcome is, but right now I'm ok staying here in Seattle.
I actually do enjoy my life here in Seattle. I figured I should point out the positive points and negative points. I will limit myself to five of each, so that I can do some thinking about what really is impacting my decision to continue looking.

PHOENIX,AZ


Reasons to stay/leave in Seattle:

POSITIVE

1. Awesome friends
2. Water access
3. Stable career
4. Entertainment venues
5. An opportunity to change


NEGATIVE

1. So far from family
2. No chance of finding an affordable domicile
3. Unchanging work situations
4. Damned rain!
5. Dating scene is fickle (always a friend, never a girlfriend)

SEATTLE,WA



So I decided today would be the beginning of a change. Today was also a day changed the world for generations to come. I quit smoking today, and seriously this is it. I'm grossing out with myself when I smoke. I changed brands practically every time that I bought a pack. So many different things pointed towards this. Health factors are at the top. There's also another change I'm initiating: I'm changing my body image.
Those of you that have known me since I was a kid knows that I was a stick UNTIL I hit puberty. After that I grew the ladies and bulked up. I have always been active, so has been very frustrating when I work out and get no or little results.
Well about a month ago we found out I have a thyroid condition that basically comes down to this: I have almost no metabolism. Since I've been on medication my energy level has gone way up, and I've actually shed a little bit of fat. Not enough to say, "WOW." But enough that I've realized my shorts aren't violently pushing against my body. So I'm going to do it little by little.
So it's time for change! Change eating habits. Change drinking habits. Change activity habits. Eventually I hope to be in a much better position a year from now.

2 comments:

EditThis said...

Good luck with all your change. Having been to both places, I can see the pros in both cities. And you're right - it is damn hot in Phoenix.

Oh, how I wish I could blame weight gain on a thyroid problem! At least they figured out you have it and the medication will help you lose weight.

Congratulations on quitting smoking! Don't know if you're using any aids, but the patch worked for me.

saraave said...

Glad to hear you aren't leaving Seattle. And welcome to the "no smoking club!" Still going strong since Labor Day! :)